A canal boat holiday in Staffordshire offers you a mix of stunning Peak District scenery, along with the contrast of the industrial workings of the Potteries, including famous industries such as Royal Doulton and Wedgwood.
When you book a boat rental holiday on the UK canals, you’ll discover a wide choice of routes to enjoy from our narrowboat hire base in Stoke on Trent, with the Cheshire Ring and the Four Counties Ring and the Shropshire Union canal being favourites for those looking for a longer holiday. You can also choose a short break canal boat holiday from this base for a shorter barging holiday and we have some ideas for weekend canal boat breaks here. A recommended waterways vacation is a trip down the Caldon Canal to Leek and Hazelhurst, arguably one of the prettiest routes for a self drive narrow boat on the UK waterways network. This twenty-four hours journey time for a return trip makes it perfect for a three or four-night short break.
To book a canal book holiday here simply choose ‘Stoke on Trent / Staffordshire’ in the holiday search box.
Top Attractions in Staffordshire
- The Potteries – the name given to the English city of Stoke-on-Trent which been shaped by the pottery industry for over 300 years. The Trent and Mersey Canal and the Caldon Canal allowed the development of some of the most famous names in pottery and a tour along both these UK canals during vacations in Staffordshire will give you insight into this fascinating history.
- Emma Bridgewater pottery painting – choose an item of original Emma Bridgewater and spend a pleasant afternoon designing your own plate collection. This factory is on the waterways itself, easy for a stop off to be creative.
- Mow Cop – a famous hill-top folly with great views across Staffordshire and Cheshire. Great for a pet friendly holiday if your dog likes an active run around!
- At the end of the Caldon Canal head to the Churnet Valley Railway and enjoy a journey back to the classic days of railway travel on a rural line that passes through beautiful countryside known as Staffordshire’s “Little Switzerland”. If you are here on a vacation from overseas, this trip is highly recommended.
- Aston Marina – pick up your supplies from their farm shop or enjoy a meal at the family-run Bistro.
- The Ancient High House, Stafford is one of the finest Tudor buildings in the country and a great place to visit on Staffordshire holidays. It is the largest remaining timber framed town house in England and is said to have hosted a multitude of famous guests dating as far back as King Charles I in 1642.
- Give the kids a day off for good behaviour and head to Alton Towers, a surprisingly scenic theme park with attractive grounds for walks and picnics.
- Stop off at Shugborough Hall, an impressive stately home in Great Haywood, occasionally used for filming and open to the public.
- Enjoy an afternoon in the Museum of Science and Industry in Manchester where you can see a wide variety of technological developments from the world’s first commercially available computer to daily weaving demonstrations in the Textiles Gallery. A great experience for all ages.
Length of holidays in Staffordshire
You can enjoy short breaks of three or four nights in this area, or longer holidays of seven, ten, eleven or fourteen nights.
- The Caldon Canal short break can be completed in three or four days. This route is 26 miles with 18 locks.
- The Trent and Mersey short break to Great Heywood can be completed in three or four days. This route is 38 miles long with 36 locks (for the full trip).
- The Four Counties Ring can be completed in a busy seven days, or more relaxed ten days. This route is 111 miles with 94 locks.
- The Cheshire Ring is a fourteen night trip, with 110 miles to navigate, and 92 locks.
Staffordshire canal boat hire base
The Black Prince Staffordshire canal boat hire base is at the National Garden Festival site in Stoke-on-Trent. From here you can enjoy a narrowboat rental to explore the local area on a canal holiday, plus travel further afield to other regions such as Warwickshire and Cheshire. We offer pet-friendly boats from this hire base for Staffordshire narrowboat holidays, as long as you declare your pet when you hire canal boats (as we also have non-pet friendly boats).
To book a canal book holiday here simply choose ‘Stoke on Trent / Staffordshire’ in the holiday search box to book securely online, or call our team on 0044 (0)1527 575115
Canals to cruise from Stoke on Trent, Staffordshire
- Staffordshire & Worcester Canal (up to Middlewich)
- Trent & Mersey Canal
- Caldon Canal
- Macclesfield Canal
- Peak Forest Canal
- Bridgewater Canal
- Shropshire Union Canal