Wiltshire is a place to take your camera – it’s a beautifully scenic part of the world. Located in South West England, this is a remarkable historic county with the World Heritage Site of Avebury, market towns such as Bradford-on-Avon, Malmesbury and Devizes, and picturesque villages such as Lacock and Castle Combe.
Canal boat holidays from our hire base at Bradford-upon-Avon suits all levels of experience, with easy short break cruises or more challenging routes for the experienced boater.
Top Attractions in Wiltshire
- Devizes – an historic town that oozes character, with buildings dating back to the 16th century. Of all the things to do in Devizes we’d probably recommend Wadworth’s Brewery – an independent business where ales may be sampled at their visitor centre. Wiltshire holidays would not be complete without a sample of the local brew!
- The Caen Hill flight – not for the faint-hearted! This set of 29 locks leading up to Devizes along the Kennet and Avon Canal was a major engineering feat when built at the end of the 18th century. You’ll enjoy a great view once you reach the top!
- The Kennet & Avon Canal Trust Museum – handily located on the Wharf overlooking the canal at Devizes and tells the tale of the construction, operation, closure and restoration of the canal.
- Bristol is hometown of such disparate characters as John Cabot, Isambard Kingdom Brunel and Cary Grant. It’s a fantastic city to explore, full of atmospheric passages and corners, alleyways and stairways as befits a former sea-trading port.
- Bath, a UNESCO World Heritage site, is the only place in the UK where you can bathe in naturally hot spa water and original roman style baths. Dating back many centuries, you’ll want to check out the Pump Room and Assembly rooms made famous by Jane Austin, as well as the Roman Bath museum.
Canal boat hire in Wiltshire allows you the freedom to cruise to these fantastic cities and visit within easy walking distance of the canal.
Rivers to cruise from Bradford on Avon, Wiltshire
- Kennet & Avon Canal
- River Avon
Canal boat hire in Wiltshire
The Black Prince canal boat hire base is located in the picturesque town of Bradford on Avon. From here you can enjoy the Kennet & Avon Canal that heads east, or the River Avon that heads east over to Bath and Bristol.
Wiltshire holidays have a lot to offer, with plenty of interesting places to visit and beautiful scenery to relax in.