EXPLORE WARWICKSHIRE ONBOARD A BLACK PRINCE BOAT
Located in the heart of England, just southeast of Birmingham, Warwickshire is an area steeped in culture and history. Departing from our hire base in Napton, your Warwickshire holiday means that you can easily lose yourself in the quiet countryside, cruising past small picturesque villages, or head to the historic towns of Royal Leamington Spa, Warwick, Stratford-upon-Avon to soak up the atmosphere of times gone by. Stratford upon Avon is of course famous as the birthplace of William Shakespeare, and here you can visit his former home and the theatre in the town.
Top Attractions in Warwickshire
There are many top attractions to visit on your waterways holiday when you make the most of our Warwickshire boat hire, most of which are accessible by just a short walk from your narrowboat. If you’re planning on stopping off regularly to visit attractions on your canal boat holiday then you’ll need at least a weeks cruise or longer, rather than a short weekend or midweek break.
- Royal Leamington Spa – often described as ‘the best bits of London, all in a ten-minute walk’, this Victorian spa town is a must-do on your narrowboat Warwickshire Ring trip.
- Warwick Castle – a fun attraction that brings history to life in a very dynamic way with live jousting and sword-fighting. The Black Prince boat hire base is located not far from here.
- The Hatton Flight – this ‘Stairway to Heaven’ is a 2-mile corridor of twenty-one locks and excellent for lovers of wildlife so take your time and enjoy the views!
- Kings Norton – pop in to see the 13th century church and several medieval buildings. The town also has historic significance as the center of Civil War skirmishes.
- Stratford Upon Avon – moor opposite the theatre and visit birthplace of the playwright William Shakespeare.
Nearby Attractions on your Warwickshire holidays
- Enjoy a shopping day in Birmingham, where you can also take in the University, Botanical Gardens or Cadbury World, depending on your area of interest. You can drive your narrowboat into the heart of the city at Gas Street Basin and the boat hire base at Stoke Prior is not far from here. The route is busy with the Tardebigge flight of locks, but can be managed on a 3 or 4 day weekend or midweek canal holiday.
- Ashby Canal is renowned for being one of the most peaceful canals on the waterways, perfect for a canal boating holiday where you just want to get away from it all.
- Further up the Ashby Canal, just before Snarestone there’s the Bosworth Battlefield Heritage Centre, which celebrates the battle in which King Richard III lost his life.
- Visit Coventry to see the remains of the 14th century cathedral, which was destroyed during World War II.
- The market towns of Hinckley and Market Bosworth are worth a visit on this route. Hinckley market, which recently celebrated its 700th birthday, claims to be the best in the country – you’ll have to visit for yourself to see!
- Stoke Bruerne offers some nice pubs and a great canal museum – a good stop for children and adults alike to soak up some waterways history for all UK canals.
Canals to cruise from our Warwickshire boat hire bases
- Grand Union Canal
- Birmingham & Fazeley Canal
- Coventry Canal
- South Oxford Canal
- Ashby Canal
A canal boat holiday in Warwickshire
Located in the heart of England, just southeast of Birmingham, Warwickshire is an area steeped in culture and history. Within the heart of the England canal network, a luxury narrowboat holiday here is an easy way to lose yourself in the quiet countryside, cruising on your narrowboat past small picturesque villages.
Alternatively, you can cruise on these UK canals to the historic towns of Royal Leamington Spa, Warwick, Stratford-upon-Avon to soak up the atmosphere of times gone by. Stratford upon Avon is, of course, famous as the birthplace of William Shakespeare and on your waterways holiday here you can visit his former home and the theatre in the town.
Great for a midweek break, weekend break or a longer weeks cruise, our Warwickshire narrowboat holidays are a type of waterways holiday that suits all levels of boating ability. Canal boat hire is available from our base at Napton.
Warwickshire Canal boat hire base
Black Prince have a narrowboat hire base in Warwickshire at Napton on the Hill, Southam. Perfect for canal boat day hire in Warwickshire, short breaks or longer England canal boating holidays, this base offers a large number of interesting cruising routes across the UK canal network.
Cruising Routes in Warwickshire
There are several recommended canal boat cruising routes in Warwickshire, England. The most popular route is the Warwickshire Ring, which is a 100-mile circular route that takes in sections of the Grand Union, Oxford, Coventry and Birmingham & Fazeley canals. The route passes through a variety of landscapes, from rural areas with pretty canalside villages, to the dramatic urban centre of Birmingham.
The Warwickshire Ring, at 100 miles, can be completed in a busy 7 day cruise, travelling for around 8 hours per day. Alternatively you could prolong the holiday to 10, 12 or 14 nights to enjoy a more relaxed holiday, with time to stop off and visit attractions and towns en route.
Find out more about the Warwickshire Ring
South Oxford Canal to Oxford
This beautifully scenic route though open countryside to the stunning city of Oxford can be completed in one week at 8 hours per day, or take it easier and give yourselves more time to explore Oxford by giving yourselves ten or twelve days to complete the route.
Find out more about the canal boat cruise to Oxford
You could enjoy a relaxed one week cruise at 6 hours per day, covering 62 miles and 60 locks to Stoke Bruerne and return.
Find out more about the 1 week cruise to Stoke Bruerne.
Grand Union Canal to Leighton Buzzard
A pretty, rural route from our hire base at Napton along the Grand Union canal, passing through Stoke Beurne and on to Leighton Buzzard will take you one week, cruising around 7 hours per day.
Find out more about the 1 week cruise to Leighton Buzzard
Other popular canal boat cruising routes in Warwickshire include:
- The North Oxford Canal: You can cruise from our Napton hire base up to Snarestone, a popular route for boaters who want to explore Warwickshire.
- The Coventry Canal: This canal runs from Coventry to Birmingham, and is a great way to see the industrial heritage of the West Midlands.
- The Birmingham & Fazeley Canal: This canal runs from Birmingham to Fazeley, and is a popular route for boaters who want to explore the Black Country.
- The Stratford Canal: This canal runs from Stratford-upon-Avon to Birmingham, and is a great way to see the historic town of Stratford-upon-Avon.
Here are some of the highlights of luxury canal boat cruising in Warwickshire:
- The beautiful scenery: Warwickshire is a beautiful county with a variety of landscapes to explore. From the rolling hills of the Cotswolds to the industrial heritage of the Black Country, there is something for everyone to enjoy.
- The historic towns and villages: Warwickshire is home to a number of historic towns and villages, including Warwick, Stratford-upon-Avon, and Leamington Spa. These towns and villages offer a wealth of attractions, from medieval castles to Georgian architecture.
- The peacefulness: Canal boat cruising is a great way to escape the hustle and bustle of everyday life. The canals are generally very peaceful, and you can often see wildlife such as ducks, geese, and swans.
- The flexibility: Luxury canal boat cruising is a very flexible way to travel. You can stop and go as you please, and you can explore at your own pace. This makes it the perfect option for families with young children or people who want to relax and enjoy the scenery.
If you are looking for a relaxing and enjoyable holiday, then a canal boat cruise in Warwickshire is the perfect option for you.